Perhaps that is what Robert Jillett thought!
He becomes her "ward" then her partner, fathering two sons, then he worked in her businesses from 1799 until 1803, where once again he committed an offence serious enough to see him hang!
Instead of letting him go to Norfolk Island and face the consequences, she decides to sell everything and follow him. That surely speaks of her nature! Was it love? or was it her devotion to her young children?
One wonders what may have been if she had stayed on her large allotment in Sydney, and retained the lands on which Vaulcluse was later built.
So once again her strength overshadowed adversity and she prospered on her different allotments on Norfolk Island.
One thing to remember is that there was no currency at the time. Trade was done from the commandant's store in barter, or more often in rum. Currency was not introduced until 1817.
Elizabeth and the family land in Hobart on the Lady Nelson.
The sight could not be what she expected. After 5 years of living in a fairly warm climate, except for the chilling south eastern winds, she steps out into the cold clime of Van Dieman's Land. Tents became the home.
As a free settler Elizabeth was granted land in Hobart Town in lieu of the lands that she had left behind on Norfolk Island.
By late 1808 they had built on land on the corner of Collins and Campbell Street, Hobart, at the rear of the City Hall). This would probably have been a grant to Elizabeth in place of her Norfolk Island land. It was later described in correspondence as her land
If you increase the size of this map you will be able to see the land is at the Town Hall site
. This is new material online! You can also see the rivulet that she speaks of. How amazing,opposite is a market.
Opposite them on the Hobart Rivulet in Collins Street (where the Royal Hobart Hospital stands) a Mrs. Catherine Kearney * (previous contributors alluded that she was a free woman, but that is incorrect) was granted land.
She also came from Norfolk Island with her two sons, William and Thomas.
The Bradshaw/Jilletts would probably have known her on Norfolk Island. Her grant was discovered with ti-tree and convicts cleared it. She became known as the Dairy-woman of the Settlement and supplied the Government and the officers with milk from her herd.
Not far from the Bradshaw/Jillett residence, at the end of Hunter Street was Hunter Island, it has since been filled in and joined up near the I.X.L. Jones Jam Factory. This Island was the place where all the criminals were hung.
The house was in Wapping at that stage. Wapping was bounded by Campell, Park, Liverpool and Macquarie Streets. Park Street may have been the street in which St. Davids Burial ground was.
In 1811, when G.W. Evans, the Government surveyor was given the task of drawing up streets etc, it was found that the Bradshaw land was to be bi-sected by Collins and Campbell streets and it was found that one of the angles of the house projected onto Collins Street. Thre was quite a lot of communication regarding this land and house, and eventually in 1827 the Government decided to give 500 acres at Green Ponds (now Kempton) in compensation for the house and land. Unfortunately that Grant has not been found as yet.
In 1811 Frederick Bradshaw (Jillett) was born, but while his death was recorded in Thomas Jillett'sbible (whereabouts unknown).
On 4th March 1812, Mary Ann Bradshaw married Charles Horan at St David's Cathederal.
Neither Mary Ann nor her husband were able to write evidently, as they both signed their
marriage certificate with a cross. They were married by Robert Knopwood, Colonial Chaplain.
On April 4, 1812, Robert Jillett and Elizabeth Bradshaw were married by the Reverend Robert Knopwood at St. David's Cathedral. From their marriage certificate, it appears both could write, although often Robert was known as Gillett, or Jillet.
(Robert indicates on his marriage certificate that he is a widower. In fact as there was no chance of a convict ever getting back to England to his wife, then on Norfolk Island and in Sydney the Commandants looked on the marriages as dissolved, and the convicts were allowed to live together or to take another partner and on both Norfolk Island and in Sydney there were so few women that many lived together so the authorities preferred co-habitation (or jumping over the broomstick) for a man and woman, rather than the man to live as a homosexual. In fact the Government even sent a shipload of women not long after the first settlement, purely to provide comforts to the male prisoners and to populate the Colony. One such ship was known as the "Floating Brothel".)
Built between 1868 and 1936 Saint David’s is widely regarded as the finest example outside England of the
work of the leading Victorian architect, George F. Bodley.
In recent years the Cathedral has undergone restoration work with a new narthex,
lighting scheme and restored stonework and floor.
|Robert Jillett's pardon|
November 1814, Comment from some Official Quarters, "There are no titles on record, whereby a right can be claimed, as individual property by Mr. Jillett", re the house in Ccllins Street.
With her marriage to Robert assured, the life of Elizabeth seemed to take a backward step.
Here she was a battler, a business person in her own right, a free settler, and by marriage he was able to lay claim to all her property. Wonder who was the smart one in that relationship?
|Sandy Bay 1808|